Reading this political analysis on the First Order, it’s important to consider the source — The Federalist — and it’s place in American politics. I’m about as liberal as they come, so I was prepared to have my feathers ruffled, but by the time I’d finished reading this article, I realized that this is how Ben Solo must see the First Order.
The bad guys, of course, never see themselves as “bad guys.” They believe they’re doing the right thing. But who exactly are the bad guys in Star Wars: The Force Awakens? Answering this question, like answering it in real life, is never as easy as it seems. Consider the following points:
- The New Republic is an inefficient, bureaucratic mess incapable of protecting its own citizens. This point is borne out in the novel Bloodline by Claudia Gray. Senator Leia Organa would be the first to agree.
- The Resistance faction are state-sponsored terrorists.
- Luke Skywalker is a religious extremist who trains child soldiers.
- Han Solo is a deadbeat dad who runs out on his wife.
- Han Solo smuggles weapons of mass destruction [rathtars] to criminals.
- The First Order treats its soldiers as such valuable assets that it literally tries to talk disobedient soldiers (FN-2187) around rather than lock them up [or torture/execute them].
- So efficient is Kylo Ren as an interrogator that [Poe] Dameron is left in sufficiently good physical and mental condition to walk out of his cell and then pilot a TIE fighter.
After you’ve chewed on this food for thought, I’d love to hear what you think.